Sunday, February 13, 2011

Queries on house design and construction

QUOTE

Hi Thomas
Hope you are doing well..I just happened to go through your blog and found it quite informative. I currently reside in Chennai. I have a plot of 8 cent in Trivandrum (Peyad). I am planning to construct a house with minimum 2700 sq. ft. of built area. My budget is up to 30 lakhs. However when I checked with an architect in TVM, he has given a quote of  Rs. 1566 per sq. ft. which I think at the higher side. I have attached the quote for your reference. Would appreciate if you could please advice on this. Is this Quote reasonable according to you? I have also attached the elevation and building plan. I would also like to know whether you are taking projects in TVM side as well.
 
Awaiting for your advice.
 
Thanks and Regards
Tony Jose


My reply

Plan , Elevation and Estimate sent by you clearly shows that you have not consulted a professional Architect.Plan and Elevation are prepared without any professional capability and  the so called Estimate is not even a proper Estimate.

Constructing a house with given plan and Elevation is a mere waste of money.You will realise what I am telling you now only after wasting money and completing house
There is no such thing as square feet cost of construction.It is a  lie told by contractors to get work. Once the work starts you cannot do anything but keep on paying whatever extras contractor may demand as no body will come to complete left  out not completed  work by a contractor In Kerala conditions.If you still want to continue with same plan and contractor,I have nothing more to tell.

I can take up project in Trivandrum.But plan and other drawings will have to be completely revised preferably after a site visit by me.


QUOTE

Dear Mr.Thomas,
 
I want to put a truss roof over the flat RCC slab for my house under construction in Kannur. Can you please give some information regarding the cost for the same? in sft sloping or flat area? including the truss work and tiling. Also if you have any contact of any agency doing this work there in Kannur please give.
 
Vinod Nambiar

My reply

On any Engineering job,no professional can reply for any query without proper data.For a job like this I or anybody else will be able to give a costing only after visiting site and studying details properly.
Normally for truss work contractors give sft rate for flat area covered by truss work.
I am not familiar with some one doing similar work in Kannur.

QUOTE

Hi Mr.Thomas,
 
We are planning to a build a house (600 Sq. ft.), consisting of Hall, Dinning, 2 Bed rooms and Kitchen in 3cents of land (Paravoor). Our budget is 5 Lakhs.
 
I want to know the details like
1. Cost for drawing plan and getting approval.
2. Are you providing workers for construction, if so Labour charge per sq.ft.
3. Your supervision\ consultation charge
 
Kindly provide me reply.
 
Rajasanthi

My reply

Building a house of 2 Bed attached in 3 cents with other usual facilities will require about  1000 sft in plinth area.Plinth area can be known only after preparing a plan of the house suited to your site,requirements,building rules and Vasthu
Constructing such a house at present day cost with Rs.5 lakhs will not be practically possible
It will be better for me to visit the site before preparing plan.If interested I can give consultancy charges.

QUOTE

I am totally impressed with your designs and I need a farm house design from your side for which I need your commercial terms...The design need to be mediocre in a south facing plot of 146 ft. x 150ft..


Ravisankar Ch
VIJAYAWADA 520002
Andhra Pradesh

My reply

I need to know dimensions and directions of all four sides of the plot.Positions of roads near plot and your requirements for the house in detail.On receipt of these information I can start working on your plan of the house.

QUOTE

Hi Thomas,
I want to construct a building in 10 cents plot which has a street on one side. The building is not facing the the street. it is facing road which is perpendicular to the street . Is it ok to leave 2m on the side where the street is present.
Thanks,
Ann

My reply

As per Kerala Building rules,you need to leave 2M on that side of the plot from street only if that street ends within 75 M length.Otherwise you will have to leave 3M from the road.

To be more precise, check up with concerned local authority as they will only be knowing about any specific requirement fixed by local authority for that location.

QUOTE

Hi Thomas,
 
This is Jeevan and am from Trichur.. I went through, your blogs and found quite interesting.
Need a favour from you. I would appreciate if you can guide me.
 
I am attaching my current house along with the modified structure that i did with my limited knowledge using Photoshop.
 
I really don't have much of money to invest on this. But would like to know certain things.
 
1. can i construct the roof as a tress work in the same shape and do Ferro cement works to make it beautiful. Since the house is really old ,i don't want to load it with more concrete works.
 
2.What sort of material should i use to make it cheap.
 
Hoping for your kind assistance
 
Thanks and Regards
Jeevan Mathew

My reply

It is not difficult to draw any Elevation of  modification dreamed by you..It is not that simple implementing it as you will have to check up structural aspects before attempting  to make modifications.
For any renovation/modification work,you will have to get the building inspected by a qualified and experienced consultant. for both architectural and structural aspects.

I can visit your site ,take measurements of existing structure and suggest modifications possible after studying your requirements of modifications.I can check up both architectural and structural aspects of existing structure and  suggest modifications possible.

QUOTE

Dear Thomas Sir,
 
I already started my house work in Palakkad..1400sqm ground floor with frame, and future 2 more floor planed. my construction Engineer give me following details please  suggest me is it ok? I am a clerical job person so cant understand..technical.

attached framing plan.

My reply

Details provided  by you shows clearly that the plan of the building and structural details are not prepared by a qualified Engineer.So many people call themselves as Engineer especially in rural areas of Kerala without proper qualifications.

A contractor cannot be left to decide on steel reinforcement,column sizes,footing details etc..
You have to consult an Architect for architectural design and a Structural consultant for structural engineering design
If you leave the contractor to design both architectural and structural design he will simply misguide you to increase his profit .Your building will come up spending your hard earned money without proper engineering and ultimately you will only have to suffer.

If I have to be involved I would like to revise right from architectural drawings and a professional structural engineering design is required not something that suits the contractor even at the cost of structural stability of the building.
 

QUOTE

Dear sir,

I am Kandhaswamy  from  Jayankondam which is 90 kilometer from Trichy in Tamil Nadu.    I want  to build a home  using  wire cut brick  without plastering .
Is it  good?   And also please  tell me  where  Good  Wire cut bricks available ?
In Tamil Nadu , it  is  difficult  to get  wire cut brick.

Please  explain  how  to do  laterite  works  on  outside of  walls.

Kandhaswamy

My reply

Building with semi wire cut bricks without plastering is no more attractive as  it involves more labour charges.As you know labour is now costly
Wire cut bricks are not available in Tamil Nadu if my information is correct.Buying and transporting from Kerala will be too costly
I do not understand what you mean by laterite work outside wall

No comments:

Post a Comment