Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Queries and replies-House Design and construction

QUOTE

Hello Mr Thomas,

I visited your blog and liked the contents. I am planning to renovate a massive 90 year old house which is still in good condition. The plan is to give the entire structure a concrete roof and change the wooden windows to glass. The house has wooden beams on the ceiling and roof tiles. There are occasional repairs we do to stop leaks and termites. My concern is whether the structure will support a new concrete roof? It is in two stories. The upper storey has a covered verandah, three bedrooms,a small study and two attached baths. Downstairs, the living space is about ten rooms in all with three baths.

I am aware you will need more details , however on the face of it, is the project viable?

Thanking you in advance.

Vijaykumar

My reply

Without visiting the site and checking up the structure,I cannot give answer to your query.
However a 90 year old structure may not have used cement for construction.Walls must be hard laterite and quite a good portion of it at least inside might have got damaged due to pests.In view of these I will not recommend concreting a new roof for the  existing structure.
In my opinion you should leave the structure as it is if you have other land to construct a new house.

QUOTE

Dear Mr. Thomas,
 
Could you share your expert opinion on using " CHENKALLU"  instead of using normal ' Ishtika" for constructing Wall?  How can we avoid the problem of " Chithal ?
 
Thanks ahead
Cleetus Antony

My reply

Generally people have a feeling that they know almost everything about house construction and all that they need are some tips from an expert.
House design and construction has undergone rapid developments and more changes come every day.So it will be better for you to have a professional to design your house and to monitor/advice each and every step in constructing house
Hard laterite which you call as Chenkallu available in Alleppey dist. are of very poor quality and there is no way of preventing deterioration and pest attack after using it for construction of walls,even though some pest control methods are available
In addition using such material for wall will increase plastering cost..Instead you can use solid concrete blocks for wall if your intension is to reduce cost.
 
QUOTE

Dear Mr. V.Thomas,
I am Rony Varghese . i am working in Abu Dhabi . i am having a land in Kumbanad (near Thiruvalla)
I will be coming for vacation this April. i would like to start the work of my house . i would like to know whether its a must that someone should be there when the construction is going on.
i am planning to make a 2000-2300 sq.feet double storied house with a low cost.
and also i am planning to make 5 or 6 houses and selling it at another place. that is my dream project.
i have some land and i need to utilize it.\
hope you will help me in this.
Waiting for your reply at the earliest.
\thank you
Rony.V.Abraham

My Reply

We can design and construct your house at Thiruvalla without any one being present at site to monitor work.We will manage the work with professional care by using best quality material with best construction practices.

We will open a website exclusively for your house construction and will post pictures regularly from the site.Thus living in any part of the world you can see your house coming up and  get involved in construction process.

House under construction at Irinjalakuda.

Mr.Lohidakshan,software Engineer working in Bangalore has sent plan of the house for which construction has reached up to foundation level for me to check up.

My comments:

Plan sent by you is not a professionally prepared plan and is not Vasthu compliant also
Following architectural defects:
1.Living room is too small. Not even six people can sit there
2.Pooja room is in darkness.No light and air access
3.Both dress are in darkness.Toilets are too narrow.You will find it inconvenient in use
4.There is a wastage of space by way of a passage from South west bed
5.After stair family living space indicated will go waste as passage
6.Spiral stair case will turn out to be too costly and putting stair case near outer wall will prevent light and wind entry to that space
7.No direct access from Kitchen to dining
8.Wash near common toilet again in darkness
Vasthu defects
1.North east is Esaana Konam ideal for Pooja room.Kitchen  not good here.
2.South East is Agni konam.Good for Kitchen.Very bad for bed room.If you use this bed room regularly you will have misfortunes and problems.
3.Pooja room wrong position
As you have reached only up to foundation level I can visit site and advise you on how plan can be corrected before it is too late to do anything.

QUOTE

Dear Mr. Thomas

Let me introduce myself as Mr. Ajithkumar from Kottayam and currently working in Kuwait. I am in the process of constructing my house and the structure work is almost complete.

Is it possible that you can help me with the present rates if I send you the building plan. How much you charge for giving me the estimate. The plot is at Varisseri, Kottayam which is only two KM from Kottayam town.

I would like to have the estimate with with M sand and with river sand. I am looking for an item wise contract like RCC, PCC, Brick work, plastering, barring steel cost and not the labour contract.

Your feed back is highly appreciated.

E.S. Ajith Kumar
Asst. Analyst
Kuwait National Petroleum Company,
Kuwait

My reply

As your structure work is almost complete,I can visit the site and assess work already done,check Vasthu compliance and advise you on pending works

No comments:

Post a Comment