Monday, April 5, 2010

How I go about designing a house

Every Architect operate in different method or style.In additional to formal training an Architect just like any other creative artist,require creative talent and lots and lots of  commonsense.

When someone approaches me for design of the house I need to hear from him what exactly he is looking for in the house, his limitations , expectations,dreams on the house

After this I have to see the plot,obtain outer measurements of all four sides,directions of each side and position of road access to plot

I may take few days or more to visualise the house suitable for that plot in my mind.Only after the design is clear in my mind, I sit in front of the computer to draw the Basic Plan of the building which gives dimensions and positions of each room or living space and doors and windows only.While designing the house I consider structural engineering aspects and Vasthu aspects also to keep structural cost of the building low and to have peace and prosperity as per Vasthu for those who are going to live in the house.

I do not draw the plan fully.I draw only the outline.My assistants take on  where I leave the work to complete the design and they work on one of the possible elevations for the building later if the client ask for it.

I prefer to do Elevation of the house slowly as the work progresses at site giving me time to think and work out best elevation suited to the building, location and also one which will satisfy  and please my mind.

In the process I may go to uncommon or nonstandard appearance for the building giving more value in appearance for the building rather than the usual techniques based elevation my assistant might have drawn simply to make client happy.A creative work need time, patience and a mind to think and dream differently

But most customers think that Architect can make picture of the house in no time.He can but that cannot be something extra ordinary.Extra ordinary work require time, dreaming and above all a creative mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment