Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Free Consultation,12/12/12

Building rules and clearances

Query-1

Hello Mr.Thomas,
First let me appreciate you for the time you are sparing to answer
questions which are a lot helpful for the people those who wish to
start their home construction.
Since long I am working in Abu Dhabi, not aware of building codes
and setbacks in Kerala. I am staying in Irinjalakuda in a residential
area. Recently our neighbor plot got building permission for a 4 story
building with 14 residential flats. My left side will be their rear side, our set
back from boundary is around 1.2 m with a projection of around
45cm for rain water protection. First up all I would like to know whether
is it allowed for a commercial building in this area and if so , what will
be the setbacks all around.
If you can help me in this regard, I will be so grateful.
Once again congratulations for your brilliance and knowledge you are sharing with people.

Krishnakumar

My reply

You can straight away give a written complaint to Town planning section of your local authority"suspecting violation of Building rules by the apartment builder as the person sharing a side of the said property"

Local authority will definitely take action if and only if you give a written complaint quoting your Survey No and Building No

Query-2

Ajith has left a new comment on your post "Building Permit":
sir ,i have a plot 1.20 are in a junction having 8metere panchayath road on frond and left side, PWD had already taken 13 meters for the front road,and tarred on it's entire 13 M width. now i want 2 reconstruct the building in the above plot,what are the exemptions applicable 4 plots 1.20 are. from where i can 2 take the frontage distance ? from the tarring edge or from the 8m point? please help me

My reply

I can only talk to you based on general provisions of Building rules as applicable.In your case it will be better to approach town planning section of your local authority with specific details of your land location like Survey No to get the clarifications required.

Query-3

Shaji has left a new comment on your post "Free consultation on Kerala Architecture,Vasthu an...":
My question is related to access way to our plot. Our plot is approximate 100m from the panchayath road. We have to go through between two plot of different owner. My question is that what is the maximum width we can get as way to our plot.

My reply

I do not understand why you have purchased a plot without any free passage to the plot.If you can negotiate with concerned owners of plots leading to your plot,you can possibly get a three feet width passage to your property.

Query-4

Sir,
i have doubt about the building rules
i have rectangular plot with roads on two sides size is around 5.5 cents
how much meters will i have to leave from the road to wards the building
is it from the edge of the road or from my wall

My reply

In normal case you are supposed to leave 3M from border of your property near to the road.Better check with Town planning section of your local authority with specific details on location of your plot.


Cost of Construction

Query-1

Sir,

I am Rejitha residing at Kollam , We have only 10 cent land ., now we decided to build a house with 3 bed room and 2 bathroom inside with a budget below 8 lakhs. sir is it possible in the present situation . kindly give a reply

My reply

Building three bed room house in single floor in your 10 cents land will be less costly.But without preparing a Plan of the house and knowing other cost inputs,I can only say that Rs.8 lakhs will not be sufficient.It may cost around Rs.20 lakhs and if you do not start construction immediately cost can only go up making your dream house simply a dream forever

Query-2

Hello Mr. Thomas,

My name is Laali.  (basically from Mumbai), I saw your blog a few days ago and was interested to know more about construction of a home in my native.

I thought since you are an experienced person and you are into this business, would take your advice and suggestions as I proceed to start the construction by Apr next year. My budget is quiet low (5 lac) and I have made a small plan myself which I thought I would share with you (please find attached the same). I do not have any professional contacts there but I have a dream to complete this project for my loved ones, but the only constraint is money.

There is a total of 35 cents and I would like to build this house on a carpet area of 1500 sft. in Kollam, Karunagapally. I would like to know the various cost associated with the construction & how it can be reduced. If this construction can be completed with the money I have, and if you can help me with information required.

I would be grateful to you!

My reply

What you have sent me is not plan of the house.May be it is your way of expressing what you think of plan of a house.Plan of a house will have to be prepared by  a qualified experienced professional using appropriate software

With Five lakhs rupees you can possibly build a small single floor house with one bed room,Kitchen,Hall(Just a guess)

 

Design of House

Query-1

Dear Sir,

I know you are very busy but still hope, you will be able to spare a few moments to reply to this mail.Currently I am working in Saudi Arabia. I am constructing a house in Kannur, the details of which are as under. I would like to know its suitability related to Vasthu Shastra. Also kindly let me know how we measure the total sq. ft. Do we need to take the measurement of all the rooms or is there any easy method for doing the same? A carpenter had corrected the plan before we start our. construction.

Would you kindly let me know on this please?

Murali

My reply

I have not received your plan as attachment.Plan is the most important drawing for a house and it cannot be simply left to any one to do as they like as a wrong plan can make you  loose lakhs of your money and problems that can never be rectified

For West facing house,you can have south West Master bed room,south East Kitchen and car porch at Northern half of front side of house

Query-2

Hello Sir,

My name is Deepa and I am working as administrator in a private firm.

I am gone through articles published in your website and found it really informative.

Actually I am planning to construct a house in Trivandrum in a 6cent plot.

I have prepared a rough plan with the help of a friend who has done diploma in this field.

I am sending the proposed plan with this mail. But I want to know whether I can reduce the total area in any way.

Could you please suggest ideas so that I can reduce the total area to 1000sq.feet for a single storied building.

My reply

Plan sent by you do not seem to be the best possible plan for you.Plan of the house is the most critical drawing for a house construction.Only experts who are well experienced in designing and building houses can give you the most appropriate plan for your house saving you lakhs of money,providing better facilities,better utility for space inside house and better design.

As per Vasthu,South East bed room will be harmful.Living room in this case is too narrow.Court yard is not advisable for such a small house.Stair case is not properly designed.Toilets are too narrow in width. Better totally revise the plan and we can do it for you.

Query-3

Dear Mr. Thomas,

Please see attached my house plan and the garden plan. Green coloured areas are Free space (Chips or normal sand for water drainage and flowers). Remaining all areas covering with tiles. Planned for a landscaping garden also with amoeba shaped pond. Please advise

My reply

Plan of the house do not appear to be that prepared by a professional using appropriate software.Go for professional design and services and do not simply go by self prepared drawings for one of the most important investment in your life.You can of course tell your designer what exactly you would like to have for the house and surroundings.

Query-4

Dear Sir,

I here by attached a plan of my home. Please check the plan and i am waiting for your valuable suggestions. I have a budget of 15 lakhs only. Please give me a better solution.

Raneesh

My reply

Major defects are

1.Very little light and ventilation in central living space,Dining

2.Stair case by the side of only light giving wall in Dining will prevent light and ventilation

3.Drawing room size insufficient

Better revise the plan totally.If you want we can do it.

Three bed room single floor house may cost around Rs.20 lakhs

Construction Materials

Query-1

Sir

I very much happy to heard about your establishments through your site. I am from Kollam and working at Saudi. My home is under construction and i wish to layterracotta tiles in floor. But I am doubtful about its quality( manufacturing from pure clay or not), surface finish, and how to polish it. I saw in your add with photo of a bed room floor you made. Sir can you share the availability of material (if possible means in Kollam) and laying details. Its a help for me.

Ajith

My reply

Clay tiles available now are of better quality with good finish.Some of them are available even with polishing by the manufacturer

I am not  aware of any specific manufacturer in your area and it is also not proper on my part to recommend any specific manufacturer of a product.

Query-2

What is your opinion on using steel doors instead of wooden doors for all exterior access? I have recently seen lots of advertisements of such doors that ensure more durability, safety and strength.

Paulose

My reply

Even if you use steel doors which may cost more,it can be opened with modern technology available to thieves.Hence I suggest you go for good quality wooden door frames and shutters.For all exterior door shutters you can add steel bar system now available to enhance security.I have used such locking arrangement readily available in one of my recent construction.

No comments:

Post a Comment