Sunday, March 11, 2012

#Kerala House Construction-Replies to your queries

Vasthu Compliance

QUOTE

Naveen   has left a new comment on your post "Vasthu compliance":

I am planning to dig a bore well in North East.Happened to hear the bore well should not cut the diagonal line connecting NE to SW. It can be on either side of the line in North East corner.
Already a well exists in South East but goes dry during last two Summers. Hope there is no dosham in closing the well.

My Reply

If such queries are sent as email to my email id other than simply typing in blog as comment,I could have replied faster by email reply

Well at South East is not good as per Vasthu.So you can close it without any second thought about it

House at Trivandrum

QUOTE

Hai,

I am Sudheer hails from Trivandrum, Kerala.Me an IT person now in Saudi Arabia. I used to visit your blog and from that I inspired to write to you..

Actually I owned a plot one month back at Vembayam on the way to Trivandrum. It is 7 cent and having measurement of 16.5m* 17.5m.eastern side have road. Like others, me also have dream home in mind. Maximum space utilization,low cost, maximum outer area(courtyard),3 bed room, three toilets(One can be common),prayer room are my demands. Since financial situation is not stable for me now. With the help of one home designing software I draw a plan and area got is 1800 Sq.ft. If you don’t mind I will send the outline of plot and my drawn plan to you for a final decision making. I know that it may have defects and an architect can advice on that. Is it possible to hold the cost within 15 lakhs? can I get  support from you at site at Trivandrum if we proceed. So please give me a reply if you are interested then I will proceed with you……..

Sudheer M

My reply

Cost of building a house  cannot be calculated or even guessed by knowing possible square feet area of house being  planned.Contractors with eye on profit alone plan construction in a manner reducing both labour and material and they simply are not bothered even about structural stability of the building.

Those who prepare Plan and Elevation of the house never ever make the client understand that plan of the house is the most important critical drawing for a house construction.Even the client think that providing an attractive looking Elevation is the only work an Architect is supposed to do.Of course Architect should have creative talent.But he is not just another painter to create a good painting.Drawing an Attractive looking Elevation is rather easy.Just by getting that picture,your concrete mason cannot do anything.He has to be guided,instructed by an Architect.Some times,he may not even have the expertise to do whatever is drawn

With the present cost indications which are likely to go up in the next one year or more you may take to complete construction,You cannot expect a three bed house to be completed in just Rs.15 lakhs.Some cost reduction is possible if you are willing to give a free hand to your Architect instead of considering him as some one who will make some modifications in your plan

I need to visit the site,understand your requirements well before starting to design your house.While preparing a plan in Kerala conditions an Architect considers at least the following:

1. Information provided by you on your needs, desires and hopes for the house.

2. Vasthu aspects

3. Traditional Kerala Architecture features

4. Modern architecture features

5. Structural engineering aspects to reduce cost of construction

6. Kerala Building Rules

7. Features of site and surroundings

Do you think you have expertise and experience to do this?

BUILDING RULES FOR LESS THAN 3 CENTS

QUOTE

Hi Sir,

I have  1.96  cents of land in Palakkad municipality   Total extent as per submitted plan 8.75 (East - West) 9.10 (north - South) building permit sanctioned  providing 1.8 from the west 100cm from the north, 90 cm from the south, exemption to the east (NOC).  On measurement 8.40 (East - West) 9.10 (north - South). constructed the ground floor providing 1.80m from the west, 60cm from the south and 60cm from the north.  Southern neighbour complained to the local authority that 90 cm distance from my boundary not provided.  Can I continue the construction work as done? In order to get over from this crisis kindly give me your valuable suggestions and legal assistance

My reply

As per relaxed Building rule provisions for plots less than 3 cents,minimum clearance required for sides is 90 cm.If you have provided less than 90 cm at sides,it is violating building rules

Only option possible is to get concurrence from owner of property in that side for abutment

Please consult concerned Building inspector of local authority to get more information

FEAR OF OVER COSTING OF AIDED PROJECT

QUOTE

Dear Mr. Thomas,

As discussed, we have funded an orphanage in Kannur, Kerala.We believe that the project has been overvalued and we are paying excessive amount to the contractors.

We would like to know if you can undertake a survey for the valuation of this project.

Please let us know your charges and we shall forward you the required details.

Saurabh Shah

Internal Audit Manager

Meera Company LLC

My reply

A Site visit by me to the site,assessing work so far done,obtaining relevant details from contractor,checking up your contract terms are all required to verify the facts

Are you willing to pay for the charges involved?

BUILDING RULES

QUOTE

Mathew Isaac has left a new comment on your post "# Kerala Architecture- Replies to client queries":

I have seen a six cent plot having road on three sides of the plot. Do I need to leave 3m from all the three sides???

My Reply

As per KBR if the road do not go beyond 75 M,you have to leave only 2M

Checking up with the concerned local authority office will be better as they will be able to give you clear answer,considering locally relevant issues also

No comments:

Post a Comment